Year in Review

Year in Review: The best Pulp stories of 2015

Chase Guttman | Staff Photographer

Jake Paganakis, a student at SUNY-ESF, was introduced to fire spinning by one of his friends. He said he prefers to spin staff, a well-balanced metal tube with Kevlar wraps at each end, because it’s light enough that it’s easy to control and manipulate.

2015 was a big news year at Syracuse University, including major events like NCAA sanctions and a campus-wide lockdown. But while these stories took the main stage, plenty of human interest stories happened behind the scenes as well. Compelling and unusual stories about the people of Syracuse and the SU community surfaced this year — fire-spinners in Oakwood Cemetery, historical tours through the city and saxophone-playing professors. Here’s a taste of the best of Pulp from 2015.

Ukrainian revolutionary documented conflict with her iPhone

Picture1

Courtesy of Klementia Dymyd

Klementia Dymyd was overlooking Kiev’s Independence Square from a rooftop a couple years ago, when three bullets barely missed her. Dymyd had quit school at the time to travel to Kiev and join the EuroMaidan, a three-month protest during the Ukrainian “Revolution of Dignity” that left 90 people dead. Dymyd, who was a visiting artist at SU last winter, recorded the destruction in Ukraine on her iPhone. Her photographs were on display last year in LightWork, a local nonprofit photography organization.

A vendor working at Carrier Dome for 35 years connects with SU community

033015_P_Joseph-Godley2_ChaseGaewski_SP1

Chase Gaewski | Staff Photographer

“Get tonight’s program! The souvenir program!” Joe Godley, 64, can be heard shouting through the Carrier Dome during a game. Godley is a vendor who has been working at the Dome since it opened. When he first started selling at Syracuse sporting events in 1974, he sold Coca-Cola at Archbold Stadium. He has worked 30 Super Bowls, two Olympics, six Final Fours, three NFL teams and one Masters Tournament through his career.

Fire-spinning SUNY-ESF students enchant crowds 

Picture2

Chase Guttman | Staff Photographer

Not all college students spend the warming spring nights guzzling beers on the porch. Two SUNY-ESF students would rather be spinning fire in Oakwood cemetery. Both Jake Paganakis and Brian Miller have said that they’d never spin for money. Instead, they prefer the satisfaction of a crowd gathering around them. “When you’re spinning, it’s like an extension of your body,” Miller said. “It’s really just you and your fire. You flow with it and feel it. It’s almost like you’re dancing.”

Wacheva Cultural Arts founder brings enthusiasm to his dance studio

Daniel Hinton | Contributing Photographer

Across from Recess Coffee in the Westcott neighborhood, Wacheva Cultural Arts is tucked away on Harvard Place. Peek into its dance studio on a Saturday after 1 p.m., and Biboti Ouikahilo will be demonstrating moves to his dance class. As he teaches the sequence he shouts mimicking the drums, “A one, two, three, four, baba-baba-baba-babah!” Ouikahilo traveled the globe with the Ivory Coast National Dance Company before he moved to Syracuse. Since moving here, he’s performed at SU more times than he can remember, including once this past fall.

Thilde Jensen documents her recovery from environmental illness

Courtesy of Thilde Jensen
Courtesy of Thilde Jensen

Thilde Jensen began noticing her symptoms of Idiopathic Environmental Intolerances, or environmental illness, in 2002. Her illness caused to move to Arizona, where she took up photography to document her struggles. In Jensen’s current project, “The Unwanted,” she documents the lives of homeless people living in and around Syracuse. For the project, she followed several of her subjects for over a year. “The Unwanted” was on display until Dec. 18 at the Light Work Hallway Gallery.

Former director of jazz studies at VPA tells the story of his life as a musician

Logan Reidsma | Staff Photographer
Logan Reidsma | Staff Photographer

For Joe Riposo, 82, music might as well be his first language. When Riposo was a student at Syracuse University, he would do his homework in between sets performing at restaurants. Riposo has a long list of musical accomplishments, including being chief instructor of the United States Army School of Music in the 1950s and director of jazz studies in the College of Visual and Performing Arts for nearly 28 years. Though he doesn’t like to drop names, Riposo has played among jazz legends such as Dizzy Gillespie, Natalie and Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald and Tony Bennett.

Syracuse local amps enthusiasm for the city with historical tours

102715_P_noexcuses_LukasHalloran_SP
Lukas Halloran | Staff Photographer

While Michael Heagerty has always shared his knowledge of the city of Syracuse to tourists asking questions, he later decided to transform that knowledge into something greater — NOexcuses Tours. Heagerty’s tours cover the span of Syracuse in both location and content. They offer visits to Armory Square, the Hawley-Green neighborhood and Tipperary Hill. Heagerty said he hopes that NOexcuses tours will do more than inform; his goal is for the tours to boost the city’s morale.

Sadler Dining Center cook crafts and sells own barbecue sauce

120215_P_RodFathers-0861_PhillipElgie_CP

Phillip Elgie | Contributing Photographer

Rod Wallenbeck first discovered his recipe for Rodfather’s Premium BBQ Sauce by mixing together leftover sauces, including ketchup and molasses, in the dining hall one night in 2013. Rodfather’s wasn’t just invented in Sadler Dining Center, it was first served there, too. He said it was an instant hit with students, served up with chicken wings. Now, it’s sold in local stores around Syracuse, including the SU bookstore.

Syracuse resident works to motivate community against violence

120915_P_CliffordRyanWEB_AshleyMcBride_Contributing

Ashley McBride | Contributing Writer

Clifford Ryan is practically a celebrity in the South Side of Syracuse — the family man is advocating for an end to violence and gang activity. Ryan started the O.G.’s Against Violence movement this summer after 11 people were shot in Syracuse during Fourth of July weekend. O.G. stands for Original Gangster, referring to Ryan’s previous involvement in a gang. Today, Ryan spends up to 10 hours daily walking the streets of Syracuse, encouraging young people to say no to guns.

Esther Gray reflects on 15 years shaping the University Lecture Series

Picture4

Courtesy of Stephen Sartori

Esther Gray, who spent 15 years overseeing the University Lecture Series at SU, ran her last lecture this past semester before retiring. Gray has worked at SU for nearly four decades. She’s been able to get more than 100 prominent figures to speak in the lecture series including Neil deGrasse Tyson, David McCullough and Al Gore. “I never expect any of these people to remember me or the university, but they do; they remember the students, they remember that they came here and that they had a good time, and that they were treated so well,” Gray said.

Bonus

Best coverage: Juice Jam

Picture5

Frankie Prijatel | Staff Photographer

This September, Juice Jam drew large crowds in spite of the chilly, cloudy weather. Headliner Big Sean along with artists Matt and Kim, BØRNS, iLoveMakonnen, Oliver Heldens and SNBRN graced the two stages on Skytop field. Relive the daylong music event with our coverage and exclusive interview with Big Sean.

aerdekia@syr.edu