Men's Soccer

Syracuse men’s soccer players explain viral heading video

Liam Callahan (4) was at the center of a trick shot video made by the men's soccer team that has since gone viral.

What started as just a couple of guys kicking the ball around the locker room soon turned viral. A few players were futzing around with a ball after Monday evening’s practice, then the whole team jumped on board in the header trick that has since been plastered across the internet, including on ESPN.

“More and more (players) got involved, and then we got the idea, let’s circle it up, let’s do it,” sophomore goalie Hendrik Hilpert said. “That was definitely one of the greatest memories I will ever have in my soccer life.”

It took about 10 tries to finally complete the trick, making the moment that senior midfielder Liam Callahan headed the ball into the garbage bin especially exciting, players said. They were already late for their post-practice ice baths and an athletic trainer was waiting at the door as the Orange attempted the 25-person circle.

Oyvind Alseth was originally the last player in the succession to head the ball back to Callahan, but he “messed up” and stepped away from the “last decisive spot” to film the video on his phone, instead.

“Everyone messed up at a certain point,” Alseth said. “It’s pretty crazy. It’s pretty unfortunate to not have been a part of it, as I was originally the very last guy and I screwed up once and after that I was no longer welcome.”

Head coach Ian McIntyre, meanwhile, heard about the trick like everyone else.

“They had no part of me,” he said. “I would have messed it up. I saw it like many other people, when the guys posted it.”

Callahan, who was in the center of the circle, will appear on “Good Morning America” at approximately 7:45 a.m. on Thursday.