Volleyball

Amber Witherspoon provides glimmer of hope in Syracuse volleyball loss

Ally Moreo | Asst. Photo Editor

Amber Witherspoon provided a spark off the bench for Syracuse on Sunday.

Defensive miscues cost Syracuse valuable points, so a personnel change was needed after an error-filled first set.

In came middle blocker Amber Witherspoon, who hasn’t received consistent playing time recently.

“The only purpose it was (was) just to give her time to play,” Orange head coach Leonid Yelin said.

Amid a straight-set loss, Syracuse (2-10, 1-1 Atlantic Coast) flashed its potential in a spurt against North Carolina State (8-6, 1-1) Sunday afternoon in the Women’s Building. When Witherspoon appeared on the court, Syracuse produced with defensive stops and flowing offense.

She’s been a contributor off the bench to Syracuse’s tall and long front line and has proved to be a key option. After playing only one set against Boston College on Friday, Yelin felt the time was right to insert her into the game when the game was close.

“Not giving her time playing when the team is falling behind like 10, 15 points,” Yelin said. “… She’s in the last couple of weeks starting getting close to getting (more) game experience and has (played out) how she would get (in).”

With Witherspoon in the lineup, Syracuse went on a 6-1 run in the second set highlighted by a pair of blocks from Witherspoon and kills by setter Jalissa Trotter and outside hitter Mackenzie Weaver. The team celebrated each point with fist pumps and audible cheers from the bench. Punches of the ball and heated conversations during timeouts transformed into elation and relief.

A relief that would be short lived.

Once Witherspoon subbed out with N.C. State leading 21-17, Syracuse reverted back to making mistakes and lost the second set 25-18.

The Orange led by as many as five with her in the lineup and never led by more than one following her exit.

Yelin said taking her out had nothing to do with her play, but rather the team’s performance throughout the game.

“I probably would replace more players just because they did not do what they (were) supposed to do,” Yelin said. “Not getting back (on defense) in the block again … it was a game plan to make sure we (doubled the outside hitter) and singled (their right side). They didn’t do it.”

Witherspoon said SU was simply more focused on defense when she was in and couldn’t generate the offense or defense when she wasn’t.

“I think we were just in it at that time when we did get the blocking (going),” Witherspoon said. “We were determined … Sometimes you’re focused and ready to fight and sometimes you’re just like trying to find your momentum and it just takes longer than you wanted it to.

“It’s over by the time you are actually fighting.”