University Lecture

Syracuse University announces fall 2016 University Lecture lineup

Kiran Ramsy | Digital Design Editor

Syracuse University has announced a lineup for 2016 University Lecture, featuring three speakers.

Syracuse University will launch its 16th University Lecture series in October, the university has announced.

The lecture series begins Oct. 4 and will feature three speakers during the fall semester:

• Bre Pettis, a creator of 3D printing
  • Lynsey Addario, a Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist
  • James Corner, designed the New York city high line

The series will continue in the spring, but the schedule and speakers have not yet been finalized, according to an SU News release.

All lectures are held at 7:30 p.m. on their scheduled days in Hendricks Chapel. They are free and open to the public.

Pettis will give his lecture Oct. 4 to start the series. Pettis co-founded MakerBot Industries, which is a company that produces 3D printers. Additionally, he was the company’s CEO through 2013. His lecture will be sponsored in coordination with the Martin J. Whitman School of Management, per the release.

Addario will deliver her lecture in Hendricks on Oct. 18. Addario, a photographer, contributes often to The New York Times, National Geographic and Time Magazine. She has covered conflicts in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, South Sudan and several other countries, according to her website. She has also contributed to The New York Times’ coverage of American political challenges in Afghanistan and Pakistan, which won a Pulitzer for international reporting.

Corner will speak on Nov. 10 to wrap up the fall semester’s lecture. He is the founder and director of Field Operations, a New York City-based global design and architecture company. He is also a professor of landscape architecture and urbanism at the University of Pennsylvania School of Design.

More information on the University Lecture series can be found on its website.