Orientation Guide 2017

When hunger strikes these places offer the best food around campus

Red Bowl Café, a restaurant on Marshall street, serves Asian infused cuisine. Marshall Street is a popular destination among students looking for flavors beyond the dining halls.

As an incoming student, finding the right places to eat can be tough. But there are plenty of places on and near the Syracuse University campus for students to grab a bite — whether it’s at a dining hall, through a local delivery services such as Good Uncle or at a Marshall Street joint. Here’s what you should know about where to eat around campus.

SUpercard food options

schine_kiranramseyDaily Orange File Photo

SU offers 10 meal plans with 28 Food Services locations across campus. Students can swipe into the six dining halls on campus and use SUpercard Food money at food courts, cafés, Carrier Dome concessions and the Goldstein Alumni and Faculty Restaurant.

“Our mission is to ensure you eat while studying, playing and living at Syracuse University,” said Sue Bracy, director of Food Services, in an email.

Bracy said the Dunkin’ Donuts in Schine Student Center is popular, especially on weekday mornings when it opens at 7:30.

Kimmel Food Court, located next to Marion Hall and across from Watson Hall, is a popular spot with its late hours. Kimmel is open from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. from Sunday to Thursday and from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

Goldstein Food Court, located in the Goldstein Student Center on South Campus, also has a Dunkin’ Donuts in addition to a Burger King. The food court is open from 7 a.m. to midnight during the week and 9:30 a.m. to midnight on weekends so students can pick up a coffee before class or grab a late-night meal when the dining halls are closed.

Bracy said some popular spots to use a SUpercard are the Starbucks in Campus West and the Goldstein Alumni Faculty Center Restaurant on University Place.

“Both students and faculty enjoy going to the Goldstein Alumni and Faculty Center Restaurant for lunch because it offers an upscale dining experience with an exciting menu,” Bracy said.

Out for delivery

02112014_p_jimmyjohns_sammaller_peDaily Orange File Photo

SU Food Delivery and Tapingo both deliver campus food to students, who can use SUpercard Food money. Tapingo also offers food from restaurants that typically don’t deliver, like those in food courts and cafés around campus as well as restaurants off campus, like Chipotle and Dinosaur Bar-B-Que.

Good Uncle is another popular food delivery service that works with busy students’ schedules, delivering until 1 a.m. Sunday to Wednesday and until 3 a.m. from Thursday to Saturday. After delivering on and around the SU campus since September 2016, the company has gone on to create a student meal plan for its delivery service.

“College students don’t eat at the normal times,” said Wiley Cerilli, founder of Good Uncle. “They don’t just eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. Their dinners are not necessarily at 6 when the cafeteria is open. They’ll be eating maybe at 9, or they may be eating when they get home from the bars. So we felt like a meal plan that was more built and catered to the students.”

Cerilli said Good Uncle strives to offer good and healthy food from top restaurants and to deliver quickly on and off campus. After its first year, the service has expanded its menu with 50 new bowls, salads and healthy plates.

Walking distance

chipotle-picDaily Orange File Photo

Delivery isn’t the only way for students to get off-campus food. Marshall Street is full of options for lunch, dinner and late-night food. Chipotle is an easy pickup throughout the day, and Insomnia Cookies is a popular nighttime treat.

Local favorites — such as Bleu Monkey Cafe, Varsity Pizza and Strong Hearts on the Hill — are all popular choices with diverse menus.

Bleu Monkey Cafe dishes sushi and other Japanese dishes. Varsity Pizza has been serving pizza, salads, subs and grilled foods for more than 90 years. Strong Hearts Cafe, located in Marshall Square Mall, is 100 percent vegan and serves breakfast food, salads, sandwiches and milkshakes.

Whether it be a quick coffee before rushing to an 8 a.m. class, or a late dinner after spending hours in the library, no SU student should go hungry with the many food options both on and off campus.