University Lectures

Poet Billy Collins entertains audience with humor

Natasha Belikove | Contributing Photographer

Billy Collins recites one of his many poems in Hendricks Chapel on Wednesday night. Known for his humor, Collins read poems including “Cheerios,” “After the Funeral,” “Oh, My God!” and “Divorce,” which is one of the more serious poems in the collection.

An eager crowd in Hendricks Chapel greeted two-time poet laureate Billy Collins with wild applause, only to learn that he had just become even more successful than they thought.

As he was introduced by Brooks Haxton, an English professor, the audience learned mere minutes after Collins did that “Aimless Love,” his latest collection, had made it to The New York Times Best Sellers List.

Before Collins arrived and took the stage, the room started filling quickly, as early as 6 p.m. Nearly an hour and a half before Collins was expected to speak, the room was buzzing with quotes, favorite poems, talk of his work and speculation on what poems he would be sharing.

A crowd of students, professors and visitors from as far as Buffalo, N.Y., filled Hendricks Chapel. The crown applauded enthusiastically when Collins took the stage shortly before 8 p.m.

Collins claimed his book’s inclusion on The New York Times Best Sellers List was a triumph not only for him, but a triumph for poetry.

“I am thrilled by the news of The New York Times Best Sellers List. I mean, good for me,” Collins joked. “But it’s good for poetry. It’s great that poetry is on this list.”

Collins shared numerous poems from his latest collection, including “Cheerios,” a humorous commentary on being as old as Cheerios; “After the Funeral,” an anecdotal description of a conversation with a friend; “Oh, My God!” a crowd-pleasing poem mocking teenage girls; and “Divorce,” one of his more serious poems.

Collins is known for his humor, though he has some more solemn poems.

“But tragedy is so claustrophobic, comedy is so relatable,” he said.

Collins, appreciative of the uproarious laughter of the audience, didn’t take himself too seriously. He joked about the creative process and the temperament of poets.

He quotes William Butler Yeats, saying, “A poet never speaks directly as someone at the breakfast table does.”

After Collins finished reading several poems, the crowd applauded for minutes. He nodded humbly at first, and then rolled his eyes, bowing, never taking himself too seriously or taking the audience for granted.

After the recitation of his poems, with anecdotal stories in between, he stayed for a book signing in the foyer of Hendricks. He greeted each person who had books to sign and briefly talked about each person’s favorite poems and memorable parts of his lecture.

Zach Lattimore, a student in the College of Arts and Sciences, said he attended the lecture to get class extra credit but was further enticed by Collins’ humor.

“I’m here for a lyrics and poetry class but I really liked his writing and was looking forward to his readings and humor,” Lattimore said.

Gianna Whitver, a senior in Arts and Science, said she was more than happy to attend. Upon hearing a poet laureate would be visiting as part of the University Lecture Series, she made sure to be there.

“I knew of his work and was excited to see a poet laureate. Hearing him speak was an added bonus and I loved ‘Cheerios’ and ‘Lanyard,’” she said.

Rachel Goldman, a freshman in the School of Information Studies, said she loved the laughter and light-heartedness of the event.

Said Goldman: “I learned of Collins my junior year in high school and have been hugely looking forward to his presentation.”