Music column

Fergie’s second solo-album ‘Double Dutchess’ was worth the 11 year wait

Fergie's latest album has collaborations with Nicki Minaj, Rick Ross and YG. “Enchanté” features her son Axl Jack.

Fergie released her second solo album on Friday — 11 years after her first solo album, “The Dutchess.” The album is conveniently titled “Double Dutchess.”

Fergie’s new music is a huge TBT for the Black Eyed Peas fans all over the world. Featuring the likes of Nicki Minaj, Rick Ross and YG, she mixes a variety of genres to create an album featuring a plethora of content.

As a huge fan of her in my teen years, I’ve always appreciated how she was the only girl in a mostly male-run music group. Tracks such as “My Humps,” “Fergalicious” and “I Gotta Feeling” pretty much defined my childhood as they played at every single Bar or Bat Mitzvah. When the Black Eyed Peas broke up, I was pretty distraught, but I had faith that Fergie would go on to do great things.

Her music was better when the group was still together, but nevertheless, she’s thriving.

Tracks such as “Hungry” and “Like It Ain’t Nuttin,’” are filled with attitude and sass. Although I prefer her more emotional and slower songs, these two work because, well, it’s Fergie. She could rap about absolute nothing and people would still listen and obsess.

“They know that I’m a problem, that’s why everybody scared,” and “Hey, what’cha gonna do when I step in the room? Betcha y’all ballers gonna rock to the tune,” show that she’s more confident than ever.

Fergie is at her peak when she sings ballads and slow pop songs, such as “A Little Work,” “Love is Blind” and “Life Goes On.” These songs slow it down a bit and exemplify Fergie’s musical talent.

Despite her other songs that cover questionable content, Fergie still has the ability to create music with depth and meaning. These tracks have “Big Girls Don’t Cry” vibes, with the catchy, slow beat paired with artist’s powerfully strong vocals.

The album continues with a track called “Enchanté” that uniquely features her son, Axl Jack, something she, obviously, did not do on her last album. But “You Already Know” featuring Nicki Minaj, takes away from the uniqueness, with 90s pop song vibes.

At the end of the day, this album shows that Fergie is an unstoppable artist of our generation, proving successful in whatever artistic path she chooses to take. The juxtaposing tracks, whether it’s a stupid and annoying song such as “M.I.L.F $,” or a deep and emotionally jarring track such as “Life Goes On,” Fergie can truly master any song.

That’s something that not a lot of artists can do successfully. Most stick to one genre or type or song, but Fergie does it all. “Double Dutchess” will probably follow a similar path as its predecessor.