Arts

Syracuse Stage’s 2018-19 lineup includes 6 shows

Courtesy of Syracuse Stage

"A Raisin in the Sun” follows the story of the Youngers, a black family living in Chicago in the 1950s. It ran from Feb. 21 to March 11 this year at Syracuse Stage.

Syracuse Stage has announced its lineup for the 2018-19 season, which includes “Noises Off,” “Possessing Harriet,” “Elf the Musical,” “Native Gardens,” “Pride and Prejudice” and “The Humans.” The shows are a blend of comedy, music and drama.

“It is a season bursting with dynamic stories and vibrant characters,” said Syracuse Stage artistic director Robert Hupp in a press release. “We want everyone to come to Syracuse Stage, which means producing theater that speaks to people in a variety of ways.”

Hupp noted that the season will bring both shows that are welcoming to a broad audience and shows that aren’t as well-known.

“Noises Off,” the first on the lineup, runs from Sept. 12-30 and follows a company of actors trying to perform their own comedy. The action switches between on stage and backstage as actors produce their show, per the release. It’s a classic comedy that had a Broadway revival in 2015.

“You may have seen ‘Noises Off,’” said Hupp, who is slated to direct, in the release, “but you haven’t seen Syracuse Stage’s ‘Noises Off.’”

From Oct. 17 to Nov. 4, “Possessing Harriet” brings viewers back to 1839 in Peterboro, New York. It follows an enslaved young woman, Harriet, who is in Syracuse with the family who owns her, as she escapes from a hotel and makes her way to an abolitionist’s house. This will be the world premiere of “Possessing Harriet,” written by Syracuse Stage associate artistic director Kyle Bass, per the release.

“Elf the Musical” will come to Syracuse Stage for the holiday season, running from Nov. 23 to Jan. 6. The production will tell the story of Buddy the Elf from the holiday film “Elf.”

Another comedy, “Native Gardens,” depicts a dispute between a semi-retired Washington bureaucrat and his wife, a defense contractor, who are neighbors with a young Chilean lawyer and his doctoral student wife. The play chronicles their dispute over their overlapping backyards. “Native Gardens,” which runs Feb. 13 to March 3, is written by National Latino Playwriting Award winner Karen Zacarías.

Jane Austen’s classic, “Pride and Prejudice,” will run from March 20, 2019 to April 7, 2019. The play chronicles the romance of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet. The novel was adapted by playwright Kate Hamill and will make its Syracuse Stage debut, per the press release.

“This is Jane Austen for the 21st century,” Hupp said in the release. “It’s fast and funny and it is altogether true to the heart of the novel. Kate Hamill’s brilliance is that she can capture everything that’s great about the novel in a way that is very theatrical and very alive.”

The 2016 Tony Award winner for Best Play, “The Humans,” will close Syracuse Stage’s  season. It runs April 24, 2019 to May 12, 2019 and shows a glimpse of contemporary life through a family’s Thanksgiving dinner.

In the press release, Hupp said “The Humans” will only be produced at select regional theaters next season, including at Syracuse Stage.

Syracuse Stage will also host “Cold Read: A Festival of Hot New Plays” from March 7-10, 2019, which allows audiences to see the process behind producing plays. It will feature award-winning playwright, director and choreographer Larissa FastHorse, per the release.

Subscriptions and Flex Packs are on sale now.