Theater

Check out First Year Players’ ‘Young Frankenstein’ on Friday the 13th

Courtesy of First Year Players

Victoria Munley, AJ Seymour, Dannielle Hibshman, Christian Arma, Billy Loveman and Yasmine Chahine star in First Year Players’ production of “Young Frankenstein” this weekend.

Freshman Victoria Munley has never acted in a show before. This weekend, she’ll star in the First Year Players’ production of “Young Frankenstein” as one of the lead characters, Frau Blücher.

First Year Players is an entirely student-run organization that allows freshmen and transfer non-theater majors to star in its annual show at Syracuse University. Every spring, upperclassmen direct the musical. This year, it’s “Young Frankenstein.” Performances are Thursday, Friday and Saturday in Goldstein Auditorium.

“Young Frankenstein” is based off the 1974 Mel Brooks movie, which follows Frederick Frankenstein as he travels back to Transylvania Heights after the death of his grandfather, Dr. Victor Frankenstein. Upon finding his grandfather’s notes, Frederick creates a monster like the one his grandfather had brought to life. Munley’s character, Frau Blücher, frees The Monster without Frederick knowing.

Since this is her first show, Munley, a music education major, said one of the things she’s struggled with the most is confidence.

“There have been a lot of times where I’ve felt really unsure about what I’m doing, but I’ve had such an amazing support system of directors and people helping out with music,” Munley said. “I definitely wouldn’t be as prepared or as confident as I am if it hadn’t been for them, or everyone else in the cast and pit.”

AJ Seymour, who plays The Monster, was involved in theater in high school but said this role is different than any he’s played before. This role revolves around physical comedy — The Monster can’t speak until the end of the show. Seymour’s costume includes a prosthetic forehead and coats of green paint.

His favorite song is “Puttin’ on the Ritz,” a tap number in which Frederick tries to convince the townspeople that The Monster is just like a normal person.

“(This show) is a musical experience unlike any other,” Seymour said. “It’s so funny and it’s so fast-paced and witty, and it’s got a lot of crazy and kooky characters that you’re just really going to enjoy watching onstage.”

Besides putting on a performance, the main goal of FYP is to provide a good experience for all those involved, said Hannah Butler, a junior public relations major and one of the producers of “Young Frankenstein.”

Although auditions were not until January, Butler said the staff started preparing during the fall semester to choreograph the show, design the set and secure the budget. To choose the show, the 13 members of the executive board each pitched three ideas, researched them and then narrowed the selection down to six. They then presented the final six to the 130-member staff, made up of sophomores, juniors and seniors, to make the final decision before announcing it in September, Butler said.

“Young Frankenstein” has 24 cast members, 10 crew members and 16 pit members. This is the first time the pit has also been all first-year or transfer students, Butler said.

“We’re literally just 130 college students who all love theater that work an entire year to pull off a full-size student-run musical, and that’s no small feat,” Butler said. “No small feat at all.”

During the research phase of the process, director Jon Schaefer, a junior television, radio and film major, said he was unsure about whether he could see “Young Frankenstein” being the final selection. But the more the group started discussing show ideas, the more they decided that “Young Frankenstein,” with its blend of comedy, love and acceptance, embodied what FYP is all about.

“It just seemed like (the) perfect fit, and it wasn’t too crazy for students to put on but just crazy enough for this wacky organization that I love so much,” Schaefer said.

“Young Frankenstein” will take the stage this Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. in Goldstein Auditorium. Tickets are available at the Schine Box Office.