Track and Field

Iliass Aouani takes gold in 10K of ACC Outdoor Championships

Two Syracuse runners competed in the first day of the outdoor conference championships

The 2019 ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships began in Charlottesville, Virginia on Thursday night.

Junior Iliass Aouani took gold for the Orange in the men’s 10k. Aouani, who set the ACC record in the event earlier this season, finished with a time of 29:01.03 — less than a second off the course record.

Thanks to Aouani’s 10k performance, SU has 15 points — good for second place — 19 shy of first place Virginia.

Another SU racer, senior Mary Malone, competed in the women’s 10k. She was marked as ‘DNS,’ suggesting she was not detected at her designated starting line come race time.

Looking ahead, the Orange have some of their best runners competing on Friday. Senior Paige Stoner is the favorite in the women’s 3000m steeplechase, as is junior Aidan Tooker in the men’s event.

Though Tooker has not run the steeplechase this season, the All-American’s personal best is 12 seconds faster than his closest opponent.

In preliminary action, senior Richard Floyd and junior Aviana Goode will represent the Orange in their respective hurdle events, while SU’s lone female freshman Alexis Crosby looks to secure a spot in the 400m finals.