Beat writers predict Syracuse’s 2019 season

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Syracuse achieved its first 10-win season since 2001 last year.

After compiling a 10-3 record and reaching its first bowl game since 2013 last season, Syracuse travels to Lynchburg, Virginia for its season opener against Liberty on Saturday. Two road tilts are followed by three consecutive home games — topped by the home opener against the defending national champions, Clemson — to open the season.

Here’s what our beat writers think will happen this year.

Eric Black
Two steps forward, one step back
Record: 9-3

To be clear: An identical 9-3 regular-season record as last year is by no means a disappointing outcome for Syracuse this season. Yes, a lot of people may expect the Orange to take a leap after a breakout 2018, and that’s fair. But this is a team that will still need to fight through the growing pains of becoming a top team in the country. First and foremost, replacing one of the most productive quarterbacks in the history of the ACC is no small feat, and while I expect Tommy DeVito to fill Eric Dungey’s shoes to the best of his ability, a completely smooth quarterback transition would be miraculous. There is also the issue over whether or not the offensive line will be cohesive enough to protect him, and the turnover in the linebacking corps is a cause for concern as well. There are undoubtedly scenarios in which Syracuse goes 11-1, with its lone loss coming to No. 1 Clemson. But there are too many question marks on this team for me to choose them to win 10 regular season games for the first time since 1987.

Andrew Graham
The Orangest Bowl
Record: 10-2

A little more than a week ago, The Athletic’s Stewart Mandel projected Syracuse to finish the season with an Orange Bowl matchup against Ohio State. That prediction is a testament to just how much can change in a year — this time in 2018, SU was picked to finish last in the ACC Atlantic. After riding the 10-win high from 2018 through the spring and into fall camp, the Orange still need to make good on Mandel’s pick. With Tommy DeVito taking the reins on offense, a dearth of skill position players, along with a defense Dino Babers thinks is even better and one of the nation’s best special teams units, the Orange have all the pieces in place to run through a weak ACC. Does the offensive line need to improve? Yes, but seeing what coach Mike Cavanaugh did last year gives me confidence that this group will get on a roll. Will the Orange stumble on the road somewhere like North Carolina State or Florida State? Perhaps. But other than Week 3 against No. 1 Clemson, Syracuse might be favored in every other game it plays this year. There’s too much talent and not enough good competition. Start scouting South Beach hotels.

Josh Schafer
Consistently good
Record: 9-3

Syracuse head coach Dino Babers has preached his team needs to be “consistently good, not occasionally great,” numerous times over his first three seasons as the leader of the Orange. Last season was the first time we saw it happen throughout the entire season. In 2018, SU won every winnable game on the schedule, outside of Pittsburgh. The other games — Clemson and Notre Dame — were winnable of course but that would’ve been a massive leap for the Orange. This year will be no different. Clemson, which eviscerated Alabama in last year’s national championship, is still a bit far away from Syracuse but every other game on the schedule is a tough decision. The obvious question marks on the team come at two position groups: linebacker and offensive line. While Syracuse is replacing both starting inside linebackers from a season ago, the Orange defense which ranked third in the country in turnovers returns eight starters and flaunts a lethal pass defense headlined by Alton Robinson and Kendall Coleman (both had 10 sacks in 2018) on the edge and All-American safety Andre Cisco (seven interceptions in 2018). The offensive line returns three players with starting experience and if the Orange can solidify the other two spots in the month of September, a plethora of offensive weapons could thrash opponents. Keep an eye on the road games this year as Syracuse may trip up like last year against formidable opponents away from the Carrier Dome.