From the Stage

Actors in ‘A Syracuse Christmas Carol’ talk show, favorite moments

Courtesy of Redhouse Arts Center

Allison Macri plays the role of Isabel, Ebenezer Scrooge’s fiancée; and Temar Underwood stars as Bob Cratchit, an underpaid employee of Scrooge.

Allison Macri plays the role of Isabel, Ebenezer Scrooge’s fiancée, as well as additional supporting parts in “A Syracuse Christmas Carol” at the Redhouse Arts Center. Temar Underwood stars as Bob Cratchit, an underpaid employee of Scrooge.The show runs from Dec. 12 through Dec. 22 and features Syracuse landmarks and historical figures.

The Daily Orange: Can you walk me through a day of rehearsal for the show?

Allison Marci: Our stage manager, Cynthia, will give us a call sheet the night before, and it will have the breakdown of what scenes are called for. It’s really hard to say, ‘Every day we do this, and every day we do that.’ But what I can say is in usual protocol, you’ll learn the music first with the music director, and then you will start to stage it with the director and choreographer. They call your scenes, and they break it down depending on what they’re doing that day. Every day is different, really. Now, we’re into running the first act. We haven’t learned any of the second act yet, but we’ll get there.

The D.O.: So far, what has your experience been like working on the show?

Temar Underwood: It’s been a lot of fun. It’s a new musical, so that’s been a little bit challenging. With other musicals like “RENT,” a show people have heard for years and years, you really know the material ahead of time. Of course, you have to refine it and make it your own. But with this show, these are songs that are not in the musical theater canon. The song and material is there but creating that character, there is no archetype that’s out there already, so you’re building it yourself in the room with the other actors and the director.

The D.O.: What about the show are you most excited for?

AM:I’m already in what I feel is most exciting. I’m very process-oriented. I love the process, and I think that’s where you get to really explore and play. If they just threw me in costume, and we haven’t done the second act yet, I would feel a little out of sorts, you know what I mean? I try to live in the present and work as proactively as I can on working on the things that we’ve learned and also memorizing my lines. Of course, once all of that stuff is learned, I will feel ready to be put in costume and to have our orchestra come and join. It’s just in due time. When it’s time, I will be looking forward to that in the moment.

The D.O.: Without giving away too much, what can you tell me about the premise of “A Syracuse Christmas Carol”?

AM:I think what you have to look forward to in this production is that you have key figures and actual historical references that are applicable to Syracuse. And that’s exciting. That’s exciting for this community. It is the classic story of “A Christmas Carol,” but we’re bringing in figures like L. Frank Baum.I think that there’s going to be references for college students who aren’t from here and also for natives who have lived here their whole lives. There will be references that people will go, ‘Oh yeah, I remember Sibley’s Department Store,’ or whatever might touch them in that moment. So, it’s a classic story of “A Christmas Carol” but set in Syracuse with actual references to the community.

The D.O.: How is Bob important to the show?

TU: So, Bob Cratchit’s family is very poor. Scrooge doesn’t pay them enough, so they really struggle to make ends meet, but the family unit is so strong and so loving. They share such a strong bond that it’s really an example of how money can’t buy you happiness. It’s the love within the family that everyone can share. He represents that for the show and helps Scrooge learn that his material wealth isn’t everything.

The D.O.: What do you hope audience members enjoy or take away from the show?

AM:I think it’s a classic story about Christmas, and I hope they get a sense of family and a sense of love and a sense of holiday joy. It conjures up definitely getting into the Christmas spirit, and so I think this is a really great show that the whole family can come to and get ready for Christmas, feel that excitement.