From the Stage

First Year Players begin auditions for spring musical ‘9 to 5’

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

Syracuse University’s First Year Players is holding auditions for its spring musical “9 to 5” this week. The student organization offers first year and transfer students at SU the chance to perform in a musical each year.

Auditions will be held beginning today from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. until Saturday, Jan. 18 in the Hall of Languages. Sign-ups for auditions and interviews are located in the Women’s Building next to Suite 100. Video instructions on where to find the sign-up list as well as the full audition schedule can also be found on the First Year Players Facebook page.

Auditions are being held in HOL 205 today. Other locations, dates and times for auditions include Thursday from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. in HOL 102, Friday from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. in HOL 102 and Saturday at 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. in HOL 102.

Director William DeVito and producer Zach Driscoll said that the organization decided to produce “9 to 5” because of its strong theme of female empowerment.

“For the past four years, we’ve kind of done really male-heavy shows, and so, we really wanted to be able to highlight more of a female-drive story and showcase more female talent as well,” said Driscoll.

Based on the hit 1980 movie, the musical “9 to 5” features three overworked and underappreciated women who take over their office from their sexist and egotistical boss. The movie starred Dolly Parton along with Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin. The Broadway show featured original music from Parton, with Allison Janney in the original cast.

pulp-1-15-2020-9to5

Emily Steinberger | Design Editor

Whether they are a theater veteran or a first-time performer, DeVito said that auditions are open to anyone. The organization strives to give first year and transfer students the chance to be involved in an open community on campus.

“What I like to think about FYP is that it’s just a genuinely human group of people who are not afraid to be their authentic selves,” DeVito said. “FYP was really designed for people to challenge themselves and try something a little bit new.”

Senior Brianna Yates was one of those people who joined the organization to find a supportive community. She joined FYP despite never participating in any theater before college, and she is a producer of the show along with Driscoll.

Yates said that while the number of people who audition varies from year to year, FYP is expecting about 80 to 100 people to sign up for a slot. The organization is not just calling auditions for cast members, but for musicians and crew members as well.

“The biggest thing is we want people who are passionate, excited and willing to go out of their comfort zone,” Yates said. “I remember when I was a freshman, someone gave me advice that if you think you’re too cool for something, you’re only going to miss out.”