Track and Field

Current, former Orange runners have success at John Thomas Terrier Classic, Dr. Sander Invite

Joe Dragon finished fifth among collegiate runners in the men's 5K race.

This weekend, the Syracuse track and field team split the weekend in Boston and New York City at the John Thomas Terrier Classic and Dr. Sander Columbia Challenge.

In Boston, junior Nathan Henderson ran the 11th-fastest mile at 4:02.09. Henderson’s time was the fourth-fastest among collegiate runners, as the race also featured professional athletes. In the men’s 5000-meter final, Joe Dragon finished fifth, crossing the line at 13:59.49. The women’s distance team also had a successful showing, with Annie Heffernan placing second with a time of 16:34:31. 

In New York, SU continued its strong showing in the women’s 60-meter. Aja Davis finished in fifth (7.51 seconds), Dennisha Page finished eighth (7.61 seconds) and Eunice Boateng was close behind in ninth (7.64 seconds). SU also had two top-10 finishes in the 200-meter, as Dasia Pressley (24.29 seconds) and Eunice Boateng (24.55 seconds) finished sixth and tenth, respectively.

The men’s team had three runners finish in the top six of the 60-meter hurdles. Tyler Garland finished first (7.97 seconds), with Jamil Adams (8.09 seconds) close behind in third and Naseem Smith (8.13 seconds) rounding out the group in sixth. 

A former SU runner also earned their place on the podium. Justyn Knight, the most decorated runner in Syracuse history, made an appearance in New York and won both the men’s mile invitational and the men’s 1500-meter final. Knight, who graduated in 2018, ran the mile at just under four minutes, finishing with a time of 3:59.32. He won the 1500-meter with a similar time of 3:44.62. 

Both teams return next weekend with three meets in the schedule.