cross country

SU alumnus Justyn Knight records world-leading 2-mile time

Justyn Knight was an individual champion at the NCAA Cross Country Championship in 2017.

Syracuse alumnus Justyn Knight posted a world-leading two-mile time on Saturday, running a 8:13.92 to win the New Balance Grand Prix held in Staten Island.

The three-time NCAA champion beat out American Joe Klecker and Australian Morgan McDonald to secure the victory. The Toronto native missed out on the Canadian two-mile record by under a second. The IAAF no longer keeps official records for two-mile runs, but the current world best is 7:58.61.

Along with fellow Orange cross country alums Colin Bennie and Martin Hehir, Knight trains with former SU cross country coach Chris Fox and the Reebok Boston Track Club.

As a sophomore in 2015, Knight was part of the Syracuse team that won the NCAA Cross Country Championship, the first title in program history. As a senior, he won the NCAA titles in the 5,000 meter (indoor track) and the 10,000-meter (cross country).

Knight has already met the Tokyo qualifying standard in the 5,000-meter. He was preparing to appear in the Olympics last summer before the COVID-19 pandemic postponed the games. So far, the International Olympic Council has not given word on the status of the 2021 games scheduled to begin in July.