Syracuse’s Common Council approves new infrastructure grants in the downtown area

Maxine Brackbill | Photo Editor

The grants include funds for the revitalization of South Salina St., Neighborhood Access and Equity initiatives and the I-81 viaduct project.

Monday’s Syracuse Common Council meeting featured multiple grants for revitalizing infrastructure in the city’s downtown area.

Councilor Patrick Hogan, who represents District 2, introduced a motion to permit a new project with the objective of revitalizing South Salina St. The $1.25 million project, which will not use any city funds, will target “building renovations to commercial and mixed-use structures,” according to the meeting’s agenda. The project is focused on the three-mile stretch of South Salina St. between Adams St. and Seneca Turnpike.

South Salina St. is the former hub of Syracuse’s commercial downtown area. It is listed in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.

The council also approved its application to New York State Department of Transportation’s grant for Neighborhood Access and Equity funding. The grant is estimated to range from $150 to $180 million and will go toward supporting the removal, redesign and construction of I-81, as well as the building of new streets and a park in the historic 15th Ward neighborhood, according to the meeting’s agenda.

The Syracuse Housing Authority passed a resolution Wednesday to request the grant alongside the council. SHA is looking to use $20 to $30 million from the grant to help rebuild the Southside neighborhood.

The council also voted unanimously to adopt an agreement with Strategic Development Specialists, LLC, for $60,000 in funding for the I-81 viaduct project. The grant will be used to repair and replace aging infrastructure by the viaduct, according to the agenda. The agreement was introduced by Councilor Jennifer Schultz, the District 1 Common Councilor.

Schultz’s other motion authorized Mayor Ben Walsh to endorse the Reconnecting Communities and Neighborhoods Program, an effort to fund transportation infrastructure projects. The program is focused on the building and modernizing of streets in the new 15th Ward neighborhood.

Other business:

• The council approved a 10-year television deal with Spectrum. The company will continue to follow city broadcast regulations and pay a five percent gross receipts franchise fee. The council is no longer requiring Syracuse to have a public access television studio.
  • As part of the deal, Spectrum has agreed to donate studio equipment to the city for public use of an estimated value of $4,500. A public hearing will be held on October 2 at 1:00 p.m. to further discuss the agreement.
  • Councilor Chol Majok proposed to renew a contract with Solon Quinn Studios to expand Syracuse Police Department’s public relations and recruiting efforts. The agreement will include marketing, photography, videography and graphic design for the SPD. This is the first of two possible renewals, with the next coming on May 31, 2024.
  • membership_button_new-10